Tom Long’s Meadow situated in the village of Quorn, was previously owned and managed by Quorn resident Tom Long. The Trust signed a lease with the Quorn Parish Council in 2016 to manage the area of woodland and grassland as a nature reserve, and it now continues to support a diverse range of wildlife.
Previously known as ‘Cradock’s Meadow’, the area was purchased by Tom Long sometime after previous owner John Davys Cradock died in 1921 and the name was changed. He earned his living and supported his family by keeping sheep, the odd cow, and also sold coal.
Tom Long’s grandson Philip and the Quorn Village Museum recently uncovered some wonderful footage of Tom Long himself haymaking in his meadow in the 1960s. The short video shows Tom Long managing the then grassland with his scythe and the help of cattle and sheep. With the help of our volunteers, we have recently finished mowing and raking the reserve and so it is humbling to see actual footage of how the site was traditionally managed in the past.
Tom Long in the early 1960s, today local village volunteers continue to help manage the meadow.
Thank you to Quorn Village Museum and Phillip Long for sharing this story.