Grow Wild: gardening with nature in mind
Grow Wild is a Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust project to support your school or community group to make the most of its outdoor spaces for you and for wildlife.
Our team of experienced gardeners can work with you to:
- Design a wildlife or sensory garden, or wildlife-friendly vegetable plot
- Create a garden from scratch - there's something possible for everyone from window boxes to wildflower meadows and ponds
- Renovate existing gardens that have fallen by the wayside
- Maintain and improve your outdoor spaces
- Train your staff, volunteers and students in nature-friendly gardening techniques
We can work with you on all stages of a project, or you can brief us and we'll do the rest.
Click here to see some examples of our work.
What does it cost?
Grow Wild isn't a free service, but we try to keep costs as reasonable as possible, providing something to fit with every budget.
Typical costs are:
- Initial site visit - for our benefit to help us assess the job we're being asked to do. This will involve dialogue with staff (or parents or governors), but the emphasis is on information flowing to us: FREE
- Advice visit – we will walk around your site with you, providing verbal advice on how to improve your space: £58 plus travel.
- Advice visit plus a brief written report: £115 plus travel.
- Advice visit plus a full written report: £58 plus travel for the visit. We’ll give you a quote for the report once we’ve assessed your needs.
- Design and gardening work: approximately £115 per gardener per day.
Using your garden to learn
Our education team can help you use your space to learn - from minibeast hunting and pond dipping to investigating plants and trees, or understanding the impact of climate change on wildlife.
We offer a wide range of exciting curriculum-linked workshops that can be run in your school grounds. If you're starting from scratch we can support you to involve the students in every step of the process from learning about wildlife gardening to designing their own plot.
Contact Martha on 0116 248 7356 or [email protected] to discuss your needs.
Oadby and Wigston Local Group Event - Pushing Up The Daisies
Oadby and Wigston Local Group - Trinity Methodist Church, Oadby
Friday 27th March
Come to an interesting talk on flora and fauna of churchyards in Leicestershire.