Sunday volunteer groups
The Charnwood Sunday group meets on the second Sunday of every month to undertake practical nature conservation tasks on the Trust's nature reserves in the Charnwood area. The group is led by Morag Scott Porteous (Reserves Officer) and meets at 10.00am, finishing at approximately 2.00pm.
The Oakham Sunday volunteer group meets on the fourth Sunday of each month (winter months only). This group, led by Andy Lear (Conservation Officer), carries out management work on the Trust's woodland nature reserves in the Oakham area. This group meets at 9.30am and finish at approximately 1.00pm.
- You are assured of a warm welcome from staff and fellow volunteers
- Days start on the reserve between 9.30am and 10.00am (see work programme for exact times) and finish around 3.00pm.
- Tools, gloves and training are provided. No previous experience is necessary.
- Please bring a packed lunch, waterproofs and wear clothing you don't mind getting dirty and boots with a good grip. Steel toe capped boots or wellies are advised, and we have a small supply (sizes 5 – 12) which may be borrowed from the Trust; call Morag in advance to check we have your size.
- We will provide those hard-earned teas, coffees and biscuits!
- For more information about the nature reserves please see the Nature Reserve section
- Volunteers must be aged 18 or over. Vulnerable adults may only attend if accompanied by a responsible adult; please contact Morag on the details below for more information.
- Please make sure your tetanus booster is up to date.
- It is important that prior to joining us on site, you are registered as a volunteer and that you have contacted Morag to arrange to join a first ‘try-out’ workday, so that we know how many tools to take and on rare occasions that a task may have to be cancelled or changed, we know who to contact directly. Morag will be on holiday 1st to 10th October and therefore unable to take new volunteers out on work days.
Click here to see our volunteer newsletter, Billhooks & Biscuits, which provides more information about the tasks volunteers undertake on our nature reserves. It also contains the latest work programme.
For more information or if you have any questions click here to look at ‘Your Questions Answered’
To find out more or to receive your volunteer application pack, please contact our Reserves Officer, Morag Scott Porteous, on 0116 248 7360 or email: [email protected]
Please note that Morag will collate all volunteer enquiries and then send out application packs at the end of each month for you to have a read through and decide if you would like to go ahead and register to join the Midweek and Sunday Volunteer Group. The pack includes information about how to do this and what will happen next, including submitting a registration form and then booking in for a ‘try out’ day.
Children’s Wildlife Watch Group – Meet a Hedgehog
Braunstone Wildlife Watch group – Braunstone Civic Centre
Sunday 2nd October
Find out more about this nocturnal animal